Monday, March 3, 2008

The Uncooperative Model

My Mom loved the pink hat I made for her in January. With her third chemo treatment looming, she decided that she wanted some more hats in different colors. I told her that I would make them for her, but she wanted to try and make them herself since she'd just learned how to crochet baby hats.

I printed off the free pattern for her and off we went to the craft store to get some cotton blend yarn. She picked out some Cotton-Ease in charcoal and violet and was eager to start her new project. I think she even started it that night before going to bed.

Within a day or two, she called me completely frustrated with the hat and the fact that she had to count her stitches. My mom has always loved crocheting, she just doesn't like to increase or decrease her stitches. She's very good at making scarves and baby blankets! I told her that I would pick up the yarn and finish both of the hats for her, but she insisted that she wanted to finish them herself, until last week.

She had finally given up! She told me to take the yarn and just make the hats for her. So, yesterday afternoon, I sat down to make the hat for her using the charcoal Cotton-Ease. I used two skeins of yarn, with two strands held together, and a 9.00 mm crochet hook. By the end of the night I had a hat, with ends woven in and all. She doesn't want me to decorate it with anything, like buttons or flowers, so it's a simple black hat.

My Mom will lose her hair soon and I hope that in some small way these hats will help her get through a very hard time. I still have the violet hat to make and will hopefully finish that one within the next week.

I tried to get my kitty, Ginny, to model the hat for everyone, but she wasn't in a very cooperative mood last night. Although, she did enjoy watching me make the hat and swatting at the yarn coming off of my hook :)

No comments: