Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Pink Hat

About a week and a half ago, there was a pretty strong storm that blew through Novato. The power went out at my house because of a transformer that exploded (quite a sight with sparks flying everywhere) and many of the roads and freeways were closed. My garage door is electric and since I didn't know how to manually open the thing, I just hitched a ride with my friend to work. So, when work ended my Mom came and picked me up to take me home.

On the way home, she told me that her doctors had decided that based on her most recent tests, she needed to start chemo (she's had lymphoma with no symptoms until now). So this Monday, my Mom went in for her first round of treatment.

They say that she'll start losing her hair within 8-10 weeks so I decided to make her a hat to keep her head warm. Both of us also have small heads so store bought hats are often too big for us. One of her favorite colors is pink so I made this hat with Lion Brand Cotton-Ease in Berry. I thought it was important to have a yarn that would be soft on her head (50% Cotton, 50% Acrylic) and machine washable. The pattern I used is from the Lion Brand website and is called Rolled Crochet Hat.

This is the first time I've ever tried making a hat. I sat down Sunday night to start it and by Monday night it was completely done. It amazes me I was able to get it done so quickly! I guess I just had a good reason :) I think it turned out pretty well. I added the little flower made of buttons to make it look extra pretty.

2 comments:

Kieu Ly said...

:( sorry to hear about your mom. She's lucky to have someone as caring and dependable as you. The hat is cute (it's the same one I saw in your car?). Knitted things are always the most comfortable to wear! good choice!

Unknown said...

I wish I had known about your mom. I will keep her in my prayers. I know she will just love the hat. I am a little jealous of it actually... I need something to keep my head warm. :)