Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A New Adventure

And I bet you can guess what it is! The spinning guild at Stitches West really made an impression on me and I couldn't stop thinking about spinning. I couldn't resist. I had to try it.

So a couple of weeks ago I ordered a Bosworth Midi Drop Spindle from Carolina Homespun. Well, it arrived on Monday and I was so excited to open the package. They even sent me some roving to play with :) The drop spindle is made of canarywood with a 2.5 inch whorl and a 9 inch shaft. If feels so smooth and seems very well balanced.

To make sure I had some instruction other than the bits and pieces I remember from that day at Stitches West, I ordered some books from Amazon that I'm hoping will help me learn. I purchased Spinning in the Old Way by Priscilla A. Gibson-Roberts and Spin to Knit by Shannon Okey. Right now all the new terminology and tools are a little overwhelming. I'm excited, but also a little nervous. It might be that the yarn I spin is so horrible I won't be able to do anything with it.

I have also been working on my Silk Shrug. Here's just a little picture to show you that it really is growing. The first sleeve is past my elbow on its way to my upper arm. Just a little bit more and I'll be working on the body. The Blue Sky Alpaca and Silk yarn is so soft to work with and I love the color! I know I'll be getting a lot of time to work on it in a couple of weeks because racing season is about to start for my boyfriend. That means lots of time at the track I can use to finish my sweater! Boogity, Boogity, let's get knitting!

1 comment:

Ryan said...

You are too funny! I'd rather you spin at the track than me :)