Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Snuggles Project

Two and a half years ago, I adopted a one-year-old kitty from the Marin Human Society. She came home with her very own little blanket that someone had made for her. To this day, it is one of her favorite things to take a nap on.

I was looking around on the internet one day and came across a website for the Snuggles Project. It is a program that provides animal shelters with these blankets, called "snuggles," for the animals. The dogs and cats use the snuggles in the shelter and then take them with them when they're adopted. It helps to make the animals feel more at home in their new environment when they have something that is "theirs."

Yesterday, I wandered into my spare bedroom looking for a knitting needle, and came across a couple of skeins of this very bright yarn. I'm sure almost everyone who knits or crochets has a few skeins of yarn that they just don't know what to do with, or leftovers from projects that are finished. The Snuggles Project seems like the perfect way to use all that yarn up!

So, this colorful yarn seemed like the perfect thing to make a snuggle. I was excited and almost immediately started making my first snuggle (medium size). I'm using Red Heart Super Saver Yarn in Starbrights. There are patterns for snuggles on the website, but I'm simply doing double crochets with a size I hook.

Hopefully, I'll be able to make a snuggle for an animal that loves it as much as Ginny loves her snuggle :)

No comments: