Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Grammy's

So, what did I do Sunday night? After spending part of the day working on a presentation for work, I sat on the couch and watched the Grammy Awards. Keeping one eye on the TV and the other on my knitting, I was able to finish my ribbed scarf! I love how the colors in the yarn flow together and make this simple scarf look more complex than it really is. The yarn did all the work for me :) The yarn I used was Crystal Palace Taos (004 Mirage). One of the ladies at Marin Fiber Arts told me to bring the scarf in once I was finished so hopefully I'll be able to visit them this coming weekend and show off my work.

While I'm at Marin Fiber Arts, I think I'll ask them about cables and see if they can recommend a good beginner pattern for me so I can learn how to make them. I'm just fascinated by all the intricate cable patterns I see on sweaters in the store and want to know how to make them. I know, I know, I already have my first sweater planned, but it doesn't hurt to think ahead!

Speaking of sweaters, I also finished my gauge swatch for the Silk Shrug I'm going to make. I used a size 5 circular needle to make the swatch. I've never worked on such small needles before and I struggled at first, but after the first few rows it got much easier. I hand washed and blocked it last night so all that's left is to measure my stitches and see how close I am. I've already gone up one needle size from the pattern since I know I'm a tight knitter.


I just recently found out that my step-father is going to have hip-replacement surgery in two weeks. This means that my Mom and I will be sharing the duties of taking my brother to basketball games and my sister to ballet lessons since they are at the same time. This shrug seems like the perfect project to take with me while I'm waiting for them!

No comments: