Monday, January 28, 2008

Sunshine Girl

It's been a fairly quiet week over here. The one exception was Friday night when the street outside my house turned into a lake, complete with people floating on rafts! It had been raining non-stop all day and streets all over town as well as the local creek was flooding. My boyfriend had to wade through it all to reach the stairs to my house. Isn't he sweet? Don't worry folks, he was rewarded with a very good chicken stew I had on the stove :)

So, with all the rain that we've had lately, I've been able to get a few minor projects finished. I am the Sunshine Girl in the local chapter of the EGA (Embroiderer's Guild of America) called the Marin Golden Threads. This means that I send out birthday cards, get well cards, congratulations cards, etc. When I first took the job at the beginning of 2007, I had to decide what kind of cards I wanted to send out. Since this is a "stitching club" (I use the term loosely because we have so many talented members that do various other crafts) I decided it would be nice to make hand-stitched birthday cards. The cards I made last year had a little tulip on them, but this year I chose to make the cards with birthday candles on them. The picture shows two examples of the cards that I made. I try to use different colors to make the card a unique gift (and to make things a little more interesting for me since I stitch about 50 per year). The candle design is taken from the Cross Stitch & Needlework Magazine. Every issue they have a special section with small motifs in different themes. They are perfect for making cards!

I have not forgotten my knitting and am still working diligently on the ribbed scarf that I started last week. I also just ordered the yarn for my first sweater! Yes, that's right :) After the scarf is finished I am going to attempt to make my first sweater. I'm so excited!

No comments: