Monday, January 21, 2008

New Year's Resolution


As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, my friend, Liz, wanted to learn how to knit this year (one of her New Year's resolutions). She did some internet searching and found a group called Chicks with Sticks that meets in San Francisco on Monday nights. The social butterfly in her thought it was a great idea and asked me if I wanted to check it out tonight.

Since she didn't know how to knit, I suggested we visit one of our local yarn stores, Dharma Trading Company, where they have free knitting and crocheting lessons everyday they're open. How cool is that! The wonderful ladies in the store helped her pick out a nice yarn in what I would call a light teal, slightly variegated color and some circular needles. She sat down around the large round table packed with other eager knitters and off she went.

While she was starting to learn how to knit, I wandered around the store looking at all the wonderful yarns and patterns. I had been thinking that I wanted to jump in and start making my first sweater so I was hoping I would find something that caught my eye. And I did! The pattern I want to make is Silk Shrug by Blue Sky Alpacas. I could totally see myself wearing that, but I don't know what color I should make it. So, if any of you have color suggestions, let me know. I could use all the help I can get :)

After the knitting lessons and some lunch, Liz and I parted ways and I wandered into another yarn store nearby called Marin Fiber Arts. More great yarn! I ended up buying two balls of variegated blue and gray yarn from Crystal Palace Yarns called Taos. I chose color 004 Mirage and started making the ribbed scarf pictured here the same night.

Well, Liz and I didn't end up making it to the Chicks with Sticks gathering tonight, partially due to some rainy weather here. Hopefully, we'll make it there in the next couple of weeks.

1 comment:

Kieu Ly said...

I'd say brown or purple for the shrug. You probably have both colors in similar style sweaters, but those colors do look great on you. Or how about red? I don't think I've seen you in red, but it's a nice vibrant color! Or black...