Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Fair Challenge

In the past week I received the Exhibitor's Guide for the 2011 Marin County Fair. I like to enter my finished objects in the fair. It's not for the ribbons or the prizes, I just like to see everything displayed together. Wandering into the textile arts room, you don't know where to look first. Quilts hang from the walls, needlpoint graces the shelves, knitting and crochet drapes over tables and chairs. It's all of the things I love packed into one room. And I love that some of my things can be a part of it.


I looked through the list of categories and picked out a few for the projects I finished this year. But it just doesn't feel like enough. So, this year I've decided to challenge myself. I have four things that I think I can finish before the submission date and I'm going to put most of my time and effort into trying to complete them.


1. The handspun shawlette I talked about last week. I only have six more rows before I bind off. After that it just needs to be blocked. A pretty easy goal in my opinion.


2. Edmund the Easter Bunny. This is knit bunny with fabric ears and feet that I started a couple of weeks ago. I've finished knitting all of the parts and have the body all seemed and stuffed. I just need to finish and attach the ears, the hands, and legs. Oh, and I need to embroider a little face for him.


3. Merino/Bamboo yarn. I've been spinning this blend for the past month. I started with eight ounces and only have two more ounces of singles left to spin. After the singles are done, I'm going to do a two-ply and set the twist. Let's hope it turns out pretty even.


4. Blue Lace Socks with Beads. I finished the first sock a couple of months ago and am on the beginning of the leg on the second sock. This is my longshot and I'm hoping a deadline will help get rid of the second sock syndrome I've had.



Wish me luck!

No comments: