Wednesday, June 18, 2008

And The Sun Will Come Out .... Tomorrow?

Or will it? The sun finally came out this afternoon so I snapped some pictures of the campus I'm staying on. The big question is whether or not the nice weather we had today will last until Friday. According to all the weather reports I've seen, the odds aren't in our favor.

We were given the afternoon off from our classes since Thursday's schedule is super busy. I took advantage of the nice weather and decided to take a walk into the downtown area. It's a very cute town with quaint houses and green lawns everywhere. It looks much different from the houses on the West Coast, brick building everywhere and almost no back yard fences. I love the open look of all the backyards merging into one another. I opted to eat at a local German restaurant instead of the cafeteria food they've been giving us and had a wonderful lunch.

Of course, I had also done my research and learned that there were not only one, but two yarn stores within walking distance. I figured I would go and enjoy myself since I had the free time and who knows when I'll be in Maine again. First, I visited The Knitting Experience Cafe. It's a small shop that also has a little cafe with coffee, cookies, and other snacks. I was too full from lunch for any more food, but I did pick up a couple of skeins of Araucania Yarns Ranco Multi in color 310. It is a beautiful mix of reds, purples, blues, and greens.

After the first store, I went to check out Purl Diva. This store was fairly large and had a nice selection of yarns. The owner was very friendly and helpful. I was talking to her about all the different store samples she had hanging up, most of which she knit herself. I had to have a souvenir from this shop, so I purchased two skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport Multi in the Gold Hill colorway. I like to think that the browns, oranges, and greens will resemble the trees in Maine during Autumn when all the leaves change color.


Tomorrow night is the last night of the class and they've planned a big lobster dinner for everyone. I hope it's good :)

Next stop, home sweet home!!

1 comment:

Ellen said...

It was so nice to meet you and your friends yesterday! I hope you all enjoy your purchases.
By the way, your cat looks very much like my cat Honey, (aka Honey Buns), who is also a muted calico.
Have a safe trip back. I hope you get more sunshine before you leave!
Ellen